Friday, February 11, 2005

Targeting Journalists

So I'm browsing the internet, minding my own business when I decide to check the news...where do I go to start my news research? The infamous Drudge Report. At first I'm bombarded with news about a new kind of HIV...so what...for the most part, people who get HIV/AIDS deserve it because of their "care-free" lifestyle. Anyway, that's for another post...this one is about a story that I encountered about a Mr. Eason Jordan, former CNN Chief News Executive.

It seems that Mr. Jordan said that he believed that the US Military was targeting journalists while in Iraq. That's right; he thinks that some of the journalists that were killed in Iraq were done purposefully by the American Men and Women in Uniform! Now he's trying to explain himself out of it, but I'm not buying it. This, coming from a man who believes it is more important for CNN to know everything about our operations, spread it out to the world while (sometimes before) we are carrying those operations out, resulting in our military personnel being killed. Now he has the audacity to accuse them of killing the journalists who are essentially getting them killed? What nerves!

To go in another direction for a second, let me remind you of a relatively recent story about a Marine in Iraq. This Marine was a fire-team leader (had 3 other Marines under his charge) in charge of clearing buildings. On one such trip, they threw their grenade in (as they are trained), then charged in to find two men sprawled out on the ground. They go to check him, see if he is dead or alive, has any weapons or information, etc. As two of his Marines approaches, one of the men rolls over...he's holding a grenade.... BOOM! This Marine Corporal lost one Marine and another was extremely injured. About two days later, this same Marine Corporal (now with two new Marines to replace the dead and injured) is clearing more buildings...this time with a journalist in the team. They approach one building, throw the grenade, and storm in. Again, they find two guys on the floor appearing to be dead. As his two Marines approach to do the search, one of the Muslims starts to roll over.... The Marine Corporal, having just been through the afore mentioned scenario, opens fire...three shots in the back of the Muslim on the ground. He wasn't armed...probably just trying to let them know he was still alive and wanted medical help. Well, the journalist sent this story throughout the world...showing how cruel and inhumane the American Marines are.

What's my point? It's very simple, really. If I were a Marine in Iraq, and I had a journalist attached to my team, if he ever crossed me or my Marines, got in the way of my mission, or said anything disrespectful about my Country or my Corps...I'd shoot him in the forehead. So yes, Mr. Jordan...I also believe that some of your "journalists" have been killed by my fellow countrymen...and they did us all a favor.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home